Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Diverticulitis = Free, but Painful Campsite

 Belly Ache

When a mother of three says, “This hurts more than child birth”, it is time to breakout the left over Oxycodone from my oral surgery back in 2012.  And before anyone says, “Those were old, they should have been tossed out!”, try saying that to Marcia who felt relief within 15 minutes, fell asleep within 25 minutes, and gave me a chance to find us a medical facility. 

Asante Rogue Regional Medical Center ER Check-in

On Saturday she complained about a belly ache that I think started Friday night.  By Saturday night she was feeling better, to awaken Sunday with another belly ache, which was better by the time we left.  Today she told me that she felt so much better…that was just as we entered Redding.  By the time we got to Yreka, she was in such heavy pain she asked me about the Oxycodone.  There is a real nice rest area half way between Yreka and the Oregon boarder, so I stopped there, found a nice shady spot with 78 degree weather, gave her a pill, and started doing research on medical facilities in Medford.  I called a Urgent Care type of place, and they suggested going to a hospital because they would have all the equipment to test her.  There are two in Medford, and she was forbidden from telling me which one was the best….so I simply asked, “If this was you, which one would you go to?”  Asante Rogue Regional Medical Center was her answer…and I am glad…they were real good.

doctor   Nurse

The doctor, female, was very nice…a traveling doctor from down by Santa Barbara, California…also a Air Force Reservist and Afghanistan Vet.  There were two different female nurses, and one male tech nurse who will be a RN within a year or so.  The hospital was well organized, neat, and all the staff were very friendly.  We could hear the interaction of staff outside Marcia’s room, and they all seemed to get along real good…for a hospital it seemed to be a nice environment to work in.  We arrived at 3:45, and we left at 8:00.  That included blood test, urine test, EKG, and a CT Scan.  The verdict was….Diverticulitis.

rv2                  rv1

Before we left the rest area I also called   Good Sam Holiday RV Park  in Medford, just to find out they were full.  I told the lady about our troubles and she says, “Oh, Asante Rogue Regional Medical Center has a small RV park there, first come first serve situation.  Let me call them and call you right back….which she did….and she gave me detailed info on which street to drive on, turns to take, and who to talk to.  So a little after 3 we were pulling into our FREE hospital spot, with water and electricity, and by 3:30 we were headed over to the ER.  The doctor recommended that we stay until Wednesday morning, and if she has no reactions to the medications, then we are free to move on.  So tomorrow will be a day of rest…and since the Doctor gave Marcia her own prescription for Oxycodone, I think she will get lots and lots of rest…and I think I will find a doggie park for Skruffy and Bubba.

7 comments:

  1. Wow! Sorry to hear about Marcia's painful experience. I hope it clears up quickly. I've decided I can no longer eat fried food or I get some wicked pains. Not worse than childbirth, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been a few days of mystery, and now the mystery has been cleared up, and soon the pain will be cleared up (we hope). Hope to see you this weekend!

      Delete
  2. So glad you found a great facility to take Marcia to. How wonderful that the hospital has RV spots! We saw this at the state park in Arkansas...super idea for sure. Hope all goes well. Keep us posted:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, in Arkansas we have stayed at the COE park in Maumelle and noticed that UAMS has some spots there. Since my doctor is part of the UAMS system, actually on faculty there, I sure took note because my insurance is for "Arkansas", which means very high deductible and high co-pay when I am out of the Arkansas area.

      Delete
    2. That's the park we stayed in. The sites are so nice and do have FHU. How thoughtful for those in need:)

      Delete
  3. I feel badly for Marcia. After all, pain isn't easy. But, I'm glad God provided for her medically, and for you both, with a place to stay! I'll continue praying. Blessings...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Had she felt like she does today yesterday, I could have never gotten her to see a Doctor. We hope her recovery continues each and every hour.

      Delete

We love to hear comments from our readers. All comments are moderated by Dave before added to the website. Spam, advertisers and rude comments are deleted, and due to high spam attempts, Anonymous Users cannot post, sorry....register for a Google ID, it is free and it is easy. Go to: Get Google ID