Thursday, June 18, 2020

North Dallas Forty (OVER Forty Minutes of Hell)

I don't know which was worse...driving through Dallas, or driving the crappy roads of Louisiana getting there.  Well, let's see...


We got on the road at 7:30 after getting gas and coffee at Pilot, just across the street from the RV Park.  I did not say much about the RV Park...let's just say, "Stuffed into a can of Sardines".  Headed west on I-20 toward Dallas, and at first, the road is not bad at all.


Then the road changes...I think you can see the ruts, the cracks, the waves in this picture.  Driving over it in a car is probably a little irritating...driving over it in a motorhome is more than irritating. 


And toss the early morning sun shadows in, and well...it is just hard on the nerves.


And as you get closer to Shreveport, it gets worse.  It was truly a nerve-racking adventure.  Reminded us of sections of the Alaska Highway going through the Yukon.


And there is Shreveport in all its glory.  Just a few miles west of Shreveport and the road vastly improves.  It is like Louisiana wants you to have a "Good Last Memory" of the state...sorry Louisiana, it does not work...we will remember you for the bumpy bumpy crappy roads.


The roads in Dallas were better, except for small patches here and there.  Thank goodness we did not hit construction like the eastbound traffic did, I think they had three different stretches of very long lines of cars and trucks going very, very slow.


After taking a side highway northwest, we get onto I-30.  I-30 goes between Dallas and Little Rock, and I have driven that stretch more than I wish to count.  Dallas is not an easy major city to go through, and even with my driving experience in Dallas many, many times...


I still get tricked by the GPS into missing a turn onto I-35 north and head west over this bridge.


One good thing they do in Texas is that they have many easy U-Turns under or over major freeways, and I quickly got turned around and here we are headed east over the same bridge, and take the I-35 north exit and back on track toward Fort Worth.


Our track actually takes up north of DFW (Dallas Fort Worth Airport), and through north Fort Worth.  I look out to the right of the windshield and I think, hmmmm...that looks familiar.


It is the Texas Motor Speedway, a NASCAR track which is similar to Atlanta Motor Speedway and Charlotte Motor Speedway. 


It is a very large facility, and I had no clue that our route was taking us right by it.


Our route takes up toward Wichita Falls along US Highway 287.  Filled up with gas at another Pilot, and then we stop at a town called Sunset, about 60 miles short of Wichita Falls.  It was about a 350 mile day.  It is a hot day (94 with 50% humidity), and we get to select our own RV Site at Sunset RV Park for $17.50 Passport America price (same price as last night).


I decide on this site and we park backwards.  In the picture you can see the black cord, which is our extension just for this purpose.  Although there is a sewer connection and water connection, we don't hook up either...getting shade in this heat is our number one concern, and it works.  We have been comfortable inside despite the high heat and humidity.  Tomorrow, either Amarillo Texas, at 281 miles, or at 394 miles.  I was hoping to get into a New Mexico State Park for a couple of days to relax a bit...but the Governor has not opened them up yet, although he might open them tomorrow.  I'm thinking that Amarillo might be as far as we get.


4 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness ... I bet you thought you were back in Atwater with those crappy roads. Luckily I've never had to drive across Texas, only through a small part of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are parts of I-10 in Louisiana that are bad too...but not as long as this was. And yes, we have driven the 880 miles of I-10 through Texas many times...it really is not fun.

      Delete
  2. I usually take the southern route through Houston, San Antonio into Tucson. To me it's less busy and roads are fairly decent although sometimes road construction hits every so often. It is hot this time of year though. Road construction gives me an excuse to drive slower and see the little towns...some have interesting things to see and do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is our normal route...wanted to change it up AND get to I-40 where it will be cooler just a bit.

      Delete

We love to hear comments from our readers. All comments are moderated by Dave before added to the website. Spam, advertisers and rude comments are deleted, and due to high spam attempts, Anonymous Users cannot post, sorry....register for a Google ID, it is free and it is easy. Go to: Get Google ID