Tuesday, December 24, 2019

Sometimes, You Just Feel Like Hitting Yourself OVER YOUR HEAD!

Intellitec Battery Disconnect Switch

The Intellitec Battery Disconnect Switch came in today.  In anticipation of putting it in tomorrow (Tuesday) I decided to do a little Google Search on troubleshooting this part just in case it was not the part that gave us the problem.

Google Search

Of course, intelligent people would have done this search BEFORE they ordered a part...but when watching Arny use the Circuit Tester, it was obvious that power was not getting to one side of the Intellitec Battery Disconnect Switch (which, at the time, I did not even know that was what it was called).
Circuit Tester


Anyway, my google search finds a site that seems relevant to our problem, and as I read the following:


"Problem with relay I think or Panel. I have the Intellitec 01-00066-003 BD3 switch panel and the Intellitec 01-00055-000 Battery disconnect relay.
Problem: switch will not turn chassis off coach works turns battery relay on and off but chassis does not..."

I am thinking...hmmm, we have the relay (the part I ordered), but we don't have a manual switch.  In the back by the bathroom sink there is a light panel and from there I can see if the batteries are being charged up or not...but....OH NO!   WHAT ABOUT THAT SWITCH BY THE DOOR WHICH SAYS "Use" and "Store"...

Intellitec Battery Disconect Switch Panel


The light above the use/store switch was glowing red...I push it up to the "use" position (this rocker switch moves up and down but returns to the middle position so the only way you know it is on is the red light) and nothing happens inside (since we are plugged into a 30 amp outlet, we have power inside).  I push it to store fully expecting the lights to go out...they don't.  I push it back up to use, go outside and disconnect us from the 30 amp outlet...we still have lights!

D'OH


If you have followed the blog long enough you know that this is NOT the first stupid thing we (I) have done.  I talked about the time dad and I went to a junkyard to buy a spare tire for the HHR just to find out that there is a hidden compartment in the HHRs, and sure enough, there was a tire in mine after all.  Oh, the list goes on and on...I think it started with the time when I was around 8 years old, my older brother Jim was being his normal obnoxious young teenage self, and in my frustration, I kicked him...but he moved...and I hit the wall with my foot real hard.  Went crying to mom and dad and said, "Jim hurt me!"  Of course, when they found out HOW I got hurt, it was one of those funny stories that have told over and over and over through the years...through the decades.


In my defense, I always thought that if the disconnect button was pushed to "STORE", that it turned everything off,  Apparently when you are connected to shore power, that is not the case.  HOW it got turned off is anyone's guess.  Had I turned the disconnect switch to "USE" while we were at Sam's Club last Tuesday, we would be home or near home right now.  Instead, we will be "HOME" for Christmas this year...our second home here in my sister's backyard.  On Thursday morning we will start out to our real home in Florida.  

Had dad lived just a month longer, he would have laughed and laughed at this latest episode.  I think he would have laughed so hard that it would have killed him.  Oh, how I miss not being able to tell him my funny little stories anymore...


4 comments:

  1. Glad you finally found your problem. We all have those confused moments once in a while.
    Wishing you, Marcia and the rest of your family a Safe and Merry Christmas Season.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup ... I laughed. That's SO like me! I couldn't figure out why my basement lights were on. I looked everywhere and couldn't seem to turn them off. That's when I discovered I had hit the switch when I entered with an arm load of stuff. It's a good thing we can laugh at ourselves!! Happy you got it fixed!!! Now you can return the part.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas Nancy, and it is fun to laugh at yourself...but it is funnier to laugh at others.

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear comments from our readers. All comments are moderated by Dave before added to the website. Spam, advertisers and rude comments are deleted, and due to high spam attempts, Anonymous Users cannot post, sorry....register for a Google ID, it is free and it is easy. Go to: Get Google ID