Tuesday, April 18, 2023

Covid Attacks Us

 

Three years and a few months after the Virus hits America, it has finally hit me, and now Marcia.  With the brain fog that I have had with this, and yes, I am still reeling from the effects of the virus, I wonder why I am even trying to write this.  If parts don't make sense, I am sure you will understand.

Since our arrival nine days ago I have spent a lot of time with mom, getting her to socialize again by doing lunch and dinner at the dinning room instead of her room.  She has had, and continues to have, moments of confusion, even seeing things that are not there when she is alone.  I think the socialization helped because she was not talking about people who were not there.  Then this past Saturday I went over to try and gather a urine sample that the doctor on Friday could not get...I had no luck too since she did her business before I got there.  I left around 10:30 and headed back to the motorhome.  By noon I started to feel very exhausted, with a unusual for me headache.  Three hours later of sleeping in my chair, having chills, head feeling like a T-Ball stand at a kids Baseball Game, I knew I was in trouble.

We tossed out our COVID tests because they were out-of-date just before we left Florida.  We did not bring a thermometer.  I went to Walgreens and went to the drive-up and asked for some COVID tests and a thermometer.  Despite the thermometers being ten steps from the drive through window, I was told I had to come into the store to get them.  I informed her how sick I was feeling...but nope, she would not get them.  So I went into Walgreens with a mask on, found the thermometers, got the tests, and left.  Back at the motorhome I test, and BINGO, Dave became the winner of the next person getting Covid.

Saturday night I got about 4 hours of sleep, with the last hour between 9 am and 10 am.  My head hurt so bad, and every bone and muscle in my entire body seemed to scream out in pain.

By Sunday night my sinus were blowing up in pain, yet I wasn't totally stuffed up.  By Monday my throat was on fire.  Started taking Theraflu Cold and Cough Medicine, the Green Tea and Honey Lemon Flavor.  It provided relief to the throat, which still hurts now (Tuesday 5 pm) but it is definitely showing signs of improvement.  

The headache was for the most part gone this morning, sinuses are fine.  No sickness or pressure in my lungs.  I am VERY tired, but Monday night I did get three episodes of sleeping for up to 90 minutes straight, but at least 60 minutes.  I get a number of cat naps.

Marcia started showing signs on Monday, and by Monday night she had the headache like I had, and cough which is like mine, but more frequent than I have had.  

So far Mom is not sick...but she was seeing imaginary people again.  Jim (oldest brother) and wife Carol arrived late Sunday and his daughter (Kathryn) arrived today.  Mom's 93rd birthday is a week from today, and I am confident we will be feeling better by then, but will still have to mask up around people once we end our isolation.

Last time either of us has been sick was late November / early December when we both caught a cold which Sandy caught from Dad just before he passed.  Where and How I got COVID will never be known.  Outside of going to lunch and dinner with mom at the Assisted Living Facility, I have been to the grocery store twice, Walmart, and got food from Jimboy's and Extreme Hummas, the latter on the day we arrived so it couldn't have been from there. 


6 comments:

  1. Bummer. I hope you feel better soon. You guys dodged the bullet for quite a long time. As for Walgreens.... So stupid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having served in the Hospitality Industry (Restaurant Manager), and the Public Service Sector (Library Directory) I just can't imagine an attitude like that...and if it because she was following policy, how dare them to have a policy like that! Kind of locked down with Walgreens due to insurance, but that could change during the next 'window'...but CVS has had problems (mom and dad used them).

      Delete
  2. So sorry you're feeling so bad. Hope you're better soon! We caught it from our sister-in-law last December but fortunately, it wasn't bad, just like a cold. We tested positive for a couple of weeks even though we felt fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree that it is like a cold, but not just a normal cold for us...a bad cold is more like it.

      Delete
  3. Gosh I really hope you feel better soon. That totally tired feeling ... I finally went outside and walked up and down a small hill with my lungs burning ... but that night I felt better than I had the entire time. Once you feel better, get those lungs cleared out and hopefully the tiredness will end. Sending prayers for Marcia!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am SO TIRED of being sick! It has gone on for 5 days, HOWEVER, I did get out today to do a Wendy's drive-thru. Oh, their Frostys are so good on a sore throat! My throat is doing so much better I even had a small cheeseburger. But all of that wiped out my energy for a bit, but well worth it. As for Marcia, she just started getting a sore throat today...currently napping, and I think that other Frosty in the freezer is going to feel nice on her throat.

      Delete

We love to hear comments from our readers. All comments are moderated by Dave before added to the website. Spam, advertisers and rude comments are deleted, and due to high spam attempts, Anonymous Users cannot post, sorry....register for a Google ID, it is free and it is easy. Go to: Get Google ID