Friday, March 23, 2018

Atchafalaya Welcome Center & New Battery

At Atchafalaya Welcome Center, Louisiana

We left Perry Florida Wal-Mart at 6:45, got to Flying J nearly Quicy to fuel up, then feed Skruffy, and westward we went.  At the Alabama Welcome Center at the Florida Alabama border I realized that our batteries...both house and engine, were not charging the way they should. After a 45 minute nap to think about it (ok, we were both tired), I checked the engine battery and found the naughty "c" word...corrosion! I cleaned it the best I could, and we drove on.  Looked up the closest to the Interstate Walmart I could find because I was sure I put one in a few years ago...and it was a Walmart battery.

A good Walmart to stop at was just the other side of Mobile.  Looked online and they had the battery I needed.  When I got there I went in and verified that they had it, went out and took my old one out (5 minutes) and back in.  Guess what, the battery I took out was from June 2013...5 years ago, before we even owned this one!  I must have put a battery in the JAYCO that burned up in 2014.  I got this same battery, put it in after cleaning up the terminals even more, and off we went.  The initial cleaning did help charge the house batteries, but the engine was still struggling, so glade we spent the $100 now.  New battery is doing great.

Had traffic along I-12, and more in Baton Rouge...but we made it to Atchafalaya Welcome Center, were we stayed less than 3 months ago!  Tomorrow looks like another long day, trying to get to Boerne Texas Walmart...455 miles away without a time change.

Both of us slept MUCH better than the first night.  In bed by 9, sleep came fast, up at 6.  About a dozen motorhomes parked here where the trucks have to stay on other side of the raised Interstate.  Coffee is perking, we should be on the road soon.

6 comments:

  1. I hate the C word too. I finally bit the bullet and bought AGM batteries. I can smell your coffee brewing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we boondock, we use our percolator on the stove. Takes about 30-35 minutes, but does not require the generator, which would wake all our neighbors up. "IF" you ever drive I-10 out to Florida, remember this free, safe Welcome Center. It is wonderful, and NO BIG RIG TRUCKS, only autos and RVs because the Big Trucks are on the other side of the raised Interstate.

      Delete
  2. Yay, on the road again! Have a good trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been FAST FAST FAST, even with the stop for a new battery. But we must be there by Wednesday...shooting for Tuesday.

      Delete
  3. We have stayed there many times. We will again on April 19 when we leave our home to Alabama headed to family reunion in SW Louisiana. I remember the days we would drive straight thru 1,500 miles from southern NJ to Louisiana. AH.... now it takes two days to go the 560 mile from here to there. Of course, we are 30 years older!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A number of years ago while they were still building the new Welcome Center, we stayed over where they Trucks Only parking is (they let any park back then because that's all they had.) A few years later I remembered the stop, started to pull into the Truck Only area and then saw the sign for RV and Auto...thought WOW, that would be a nice overnight stop...and it is. That is the second time we stayed there this year, as it was our last stop before Florida back in January.

      Delete

We love to hear comments from our readers. All comments are moderated by Dave before added to the website. Spam, advertisers and rude comments are deleted, and due to high spam attempts, Anonymous Users cannot post, sorry....register for a Google ID, it is free and it is easy. Go to: Get Google ID