Thursday, April 25, 2024

Mom Turns 94

 

Here is Mom at Olive Garden where, when asked by Patti and Sandy where she wanted to go, she picked there.  After having the Soup and Salad selection, they brought this HUGE Tiramisu with a candle...which she "ate every bite" according to Sandy a little after she sent me the picture.

Patti and Sandy had a great idea about a month ago and that was to get a bunch of cards and pictures and stuff sent to Mom for her birthday.  Here was the start of the collection.

My daughter Stephanie painted this landscape picture for her.


Patti's daughter Ashley sent this funny-cute card which, in case you can't read it, goes as follows: 

Happy Birthday!

If anyone teases you about getting older, remember what you learned in Sunday School...

Turn the other Cheak.



All of this, plus a few more things, now hang on her walls along with a few things which are on her dresser/table in her room ... she will enjoy it all for a long, long time.
 

Note:  This is the first birthday Marcia and I have missed attending in the last 13 years.  I have mentioned before that Mom and I, when I was around 4 years old, would sit at the piano just about everyday for a short time while all my older brothers were in school, and our sister's had not been adopted yet...we would sing, "You are my sunshine...", one of the few songs mom could play.  Well, I found a You are my Sunshine card which became her 94th birthday card...push a little button in one of the corners and it plays the song.  Also found a music box with a Mamma Bear and Baby Bear (pictured below), and it too plays "You are my Sunshine".  One of the caregivers at the home sings that song with mom just about every day...


May the sun continue to shine in Mom's life for as long as the Lord allows her to be here...



16 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to your Mom! She looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hated not being out there this year, but at least my knee is stronger, and will be looking hard for a motorhome van soon. Thanks

      Delete
  2. Looks like your Mom had a great 94th Birthday and Happy Birthday to her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She sure looked happy...I did talk to her after they got her back to the home.

      Delete
  3. Happy birthday Dave's mom! What a special day with special gifts, cards and that song just brings everything over the top. I love the fact that you two used to sing that song together. What a special memory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As the youngest of four boys, it was not always the ideal situation for me...lots of mama's boy stuff...which, when you get older, become fonder memories. Thanks Jim

      Delete
  4. So glad to see your Mom looking better and happy to boot. Sending all those gifts ... perfect idea. Funny ... we used to sing that song around the campfire all the time. LOVE the music box!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ever since they put mom on a maintenance dosage antibiotic she has been doing SO MUCH BETTER! We had asked for it for three years, and we got the same go-around of, "We don't want her to become immune to the affects of antibiotics and then a UTI would kill her." So she suffers for three years...

      Delete
  5. Wishing your Mom a Happy Belated Birthday, with many more to come.
    Stay Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That song is so special for a mom and son. I sang it to my baby sisters and my children. Happy birthday to a wonderful lady. Enjoy your special day to the fullest and continue to enjoy the coming week s and years.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi David, It is good to see Dorothy again. She was my mom Edie Granby’s best friend for years. Before my mom passed in 2021 a few years prior, I tried to get in touch on Facebook, but nothing came of it. My mom had lost contact with Dorothy and was interested to see if she could connect for old times sake.
    I’m glad to see she’s doing well. Lia Granby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Lia, long time no see! So very nice to hear from you, mom will be thrilled. After dad died on Thanksgiving Day of 2019, things have not been the same for her...I am sure Eddie went through the same when Bill passed. I have such FOND MEMORIES of the many visits over at your house while our moms drank their many cups of coffee. And you dad was something else, no better phone man in the business. As I got older and started driving it was amazing how many times I ran into him around town. How is the rest of the family...I think I heard one of your older sisters had passed. If you want to contact me, just send me an email at dave@goingrvway.com --Dave

      Delete
  8. I want what she got on her birthday, Tiramisu. My favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe when you turn 94! LOL Hope you get everything you want...

      Delete

We love to hear comments from our readers. All comments are moderated by Dave before added to the website. Spam, advertisers and rude comments are deleted, and due to high spam attempts, Anonymous Users cannot post, sorry....register for a Google ID, it is free and it is easy. Go to: Get Google ID