Tuesday, November 27, 2018

Turkey, Turkey and More Turkey

Home in Holiday / Tarpon Springs area, FL

Eat Beef for Thanksgiving

We don’t always have turkey for Thanksgiving…but normally we do…and this was a ‘normal’ year.  Back in 2014 we did a Loin Roast, and that was YUM YUM YUMMY.

Loin Roast for Thanksgiving 2014

The picture above was from that meal…and boy, it was good…with potatoes, asparagus, yams and my favorite Marshmallow Salad (longtime followers have heard about that salad before). 

Slow Roasted Turkey (not my picture)

This year, though it was just the two of us, we did a turkey.  I got up at 6:30, by 7:00 I had the turkey in the oven at 400 degrees for an hour, then turned it down to 210 degrees for eight hours doing an occasional basting.  The picture above is not our turkey, but it is the closest one that I could find to what ours looked like.  Stuffed with onions, celery and whole mushrooms, spiced with pepper, lemon pepper and poultry seasoning, it turned out good…except that the thigh was not ready after the nine hours of cooking, and needed 45 minutes more at 325 degrees to reach the 165 degree mark.  The turkey was moist, tender, and real yummy.  With it we had our first baked potato in two years, and asparagus.  (Now I am not the biggest fan of asparagus, but Marcia does it just right...not mushy, spiced just right...)

Crock-Pot  (not my picture)

We have a “Choose a Crock” Crock-Pot like the one above.  I cut off much of the turkey meat, crammed the turkey bones and remains along with some water and some chicken broth into the largest of the three crocks, and let it cook on low for an hour, then on warm all night long.  It is nice because when you set it for a given time limit, it automatically goes to warm when the time is up.  The next morning I strained the bones and meat pieces from the broth, then added the meat I got out of the strainer into the crock.  As the day progressed, I added veggies and more meat, and we had enough turkey soup for three meals.

Turkey Breast (not my picture)

I got a large baggie of miscellaneous turkey meat, and another large baggie with one of the breasts.  We had Turkey Salad twice, Turkey on Burgers once, and three omelettes…and there is still just a bit of meat left for another omelette, and one large container of soup in the freezer for a cold night later on.  By-the-way…10 1/2 pound turkey at 49 cents a pound.  Not bad for just over $5 and the cost of eggs, veggies and chicken broth.   And did I mention we had baked potatoes for the first time in two years?  Winking smile  Other than the potatoes, we stuck to our diet real well...and I love turkey so much, I am ready to cook another one. 


Another Birthday

Yep, I had another one of those...never a big deal anymore.  As it falls near or on Thanksgiving a lot, I am used to people forgetting or overlooking it.  My kids remembered ok, though Stephanie did not call me until the next day just before she was getting on a plane headed back to Salt Lake City (she was in California with Michael)…but the boys both called.  Mom and dad called the next day, a brother sent me an email, talked with both my sisters within a day or two and even got a chance to talk to Arny on Monday.  Of course, when mom and dad called on the day ‘after’ my birthday, I answered the phone by saying, “Who is this?  Can’t be my parents because they would have talked to me on my birthday!”  We laughed….    I even got a blog comment from Cat Lady who must have seen it from past years and remembered, because as far as I know, I have never met Cat Lady, but at my age…you never know about these things.  (Ok, not that old…but Medicare is come up pretty soon).

Power Lift Massage Recliner Heated Vibrating Chair
Power Lift Massage Recliner Heated Vibrating Chair         Power Lift Massage Recliner Heated Vibrating Chair

Our dishwasher should be installed next week…along with a Power Lift Massage Recliner Heated Vibrating Chair that I ordered yesterday from Amazon.  Life is good…and soon life will be much more comfortable.  Smile

9 comments:

  1. Whoa!! Nice chair!! And even nicer looking turkey. I definitely need turkey cooking lessons. Those occasional baked potatoes are amazing!! and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep trying to catch up to you, but always seem to stay just a couple years ahead of me.... lol

      Delete
  2. Happy late Birthday!
    Our friend cooked a big turkey too. She made turkey stew, New Mexico style, with enchilada sauce and turkey lasagna. We were gifted with the wings to make soup. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen...just another day, another notch on the year. I don't know if I could make enough soup with just wings, maybe wings and thighs, unless I add more chicken stock/broth. (Why don't they have turkey stock/broth?)

      Delete
  3. No, we’ve never met but I try to remember BDs. Marsha, don’t let him get away with gifting the dishwasher as your Christmas present...not gonna fly. That chair sounds like a gift I’d enjoy. Give us an update later on as to how you like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We typically don't do any Christmas Presents, and when "I" do, I get in trouble because "she" didn't get a chance to do anything. (lol) BUT, when we do something, we do it together, and the dishwasher was on the list...but the leak is making it happen much earlier. I will update on the chair...if we like it, we will get a second one (I think)

      Delete
  4. Wondering does Cat Lady's name start with J? And does she live in Louisiana. If so, she is a dear friend we met years ago while fulltiming. Hope to see her Sunday when passing thru her area.

    We too have an abundance of turkey. Ate the hubbys sons house. Since he was frying a turkey we bought a smaller one and fried it so we would have some at home.

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear comments from our readers. All comments are moderated by Dave before added to the website. Spam, advertisers and rude comments are deleted, and due to high spam attempts, Anonymous Users cannot post, sorry....register for a Google ID, it is free and it is easy. Go to: Get Google ID