Here is where we camped last night, at McKay Truck and RV Center. It was a fairly peaceful place to spend the night…along Old Salem Road, this once busy road is fairly peaceful now. There is also a bit of a buffer between the road and the lot where we were gated in, but with a pass code in case we had an emergency and needed to take the car somewhere.
Service Tech Paul got right on it at 8:45. All of the fuses checked out. All of the relays that dealt with “auxiliary batteries” checked out. After 2+ hours of looking and looking all over the place, what couldn’t be found was the battery isolator.
A battery isolator (or split charge relay) allows an auxiliary battery to be charged by the vehicle's system, yet not participate in engine starting. It also prevents the starting battery from being run down by your equipment when the engine is off.
Now one would think that we were disappointed with McKay Truck and RV Center. That would be farthest from the truth. Paul spent 2 1/2 hours working on this project…even Buddy, the head of the RV division, came out to look things over. It is not there fault that Dynamax hid it so well. Paul thinks it might be above a bunch of sprayed on insulation. They asked me for more time so that they could call Dynamax…but we had already felt that heading back was the right thing to do…that a smaller trial run was what we should have done. I complement them on their effort…and oh, by the way…they only charged us $60. When I showed that to Marcia, she could not believe it….she thought for sure we had blown a couple hundred bucks. And remember, we stayed the night…that could have cost $30-$40 at an RV park!
So essentially, it is time to punt….time to regroup. As many of you know, we bought this motorhome a year ago after our previous class C burned up in a storage fire in Tarpon Springs. We thought after a year we would be ready to travel the 8,000 mile round trip from California to Alaska and back. But since we left in mid April from Florida, just too many things show us that we are just not there yet. We need to have a few good trial runs with everything working right…and we are not there yet.
I will be planning a few minor trips…if they go well, we will plan a major trip with options to call it off if needed. For instance, the major trip might be to go to Utah to visit Stephanie. From there, if things go well, we can go up to the Tetons, and Yellowstone again, or return back to Sacramento if needed. “If” things are going well at the Tetons and Yellowstone, we can head up to Glacier, and go over the boarder…and if it is still going well, go to Banff and Jasper. If things are still going well, we might even head over to Hyder and see the bears feed…and feel good because we did make it to a small portion of Alaska. After that, we would head south…spend time in Washington…and then back to Sacramento. I think “that”, if we decide to do that, would be the extent of our travels this year. But there are other major trips we can do without going too far from Sacramento…and that is also an option. First thing first…get the battery situation fixed…and a few other minor items too. Then we will decide what to do from there.
So here we are near Roseburg Oregon, at a Passport America park for two nights at $12 per night. It is a lovely little RV park and Golf Course along a river. It is called, On the River Golf and RV Resort. We plan to be here two or three nights…if a third, it is full price of $24. We went into Roseburg tonight to a Greek Restaurant called Alexander's Greek Cuisine. Not bad for a Greek Restaurant in a little town in Oregon, but would never make it in a Greek Community like Tarpon Springs. We plan to stay out until Tuesday or Wednesday, see if any more bugs pop out before we make it to the safety of my sister's backyard. Besides, we have to be sure we have time to finish off all that Moose Munch!