Sunday, August 27, 2017

Shasta Dam, HOT Weather, Naked Ladies & TV

Citrus Heights, CA

Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake California

On our way back to Citrus Heights on Thursday, we took a side road over to Shasta Dam…not for a tour, but just to show Marcia what it looks like.

Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake California

I have not seen so much water in Shasta Lake for I don’t know how long…it felt good to see it full again.

Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake California

This is the place where I attribute my “fear of heights” to.  Back in the mid-1990’s my children’s mother’s family was having a “family reunion” near Shasta.  It was August 1993 if I remember…because I was named the Interim Library Director while I was away on this trip as the previous Director was….how does one say this nicely…given the chance to find employment elsewhere.  Anyway, as ALL my previous wife’s family and I were visiting Shasta Dam, we were looking down over the spillway…and one of my nieces jumped up onto the top of the railing to look over, and in my mind, I saw her going over…and since I was right there, I grabbed the seat of her pants and pulled her back…and her mother was not too happy with me.  Ever since then I have had an extreme fear of heights…can’t look down out of a hotel room window which is a dozen or more floors up (I can look out, just not down).  Can not look down from the Golden Gate Bridge (I had no problem doing so before this), and I have a HUGE problem flying in a plane.  Had nightmares of her flying off the dam for many years after the event.  And I NEVER did get a thanks from the parent, although we did come to an understanding when I said, “Perhaps I should have just let things take their natural course…” (which, for those who know me, I could have never done).

Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake California

A look of Shasta Lake…lots and lots of water behind the dam!  Too bad there was so much smoke in the air.

Homemade motorhome

Just had to show a picture of this Motorhome which we saw at the Pilot Gas Station south of Corning California…A porch, on a old Winny Chassis.  I don’t think he drives it much on the freeway, but they do seem to live in it around the area. 

Sister's Backyard, Citrus Heights, CA

Made it back to the Sacramento Area just in time to see the Naked Ladies, enjoy the 105+ degree weather, celebrate both Sandy and Arny’s birthdays (day apart from each other…mom and dad no longer have children who are ‘in their 50’s’ anymore, and enough time to install a new TV and a new Controller in the Solar Panel.

Belladonna Lily (Naked Lady), Citrus Heights, CaThe “Naked Ladies” are a type of plant that grow outside my sister’s house near our RV door, and in other places in their backyard.  The Belladonna Lily (Naked Lady), Citrus Heights, CaBelladonna Lily is called the “Naked Lady” because the stem is leafless, tall, and pretty flowers on top.  In the spring there is a very leafy plant…which seems to die off, then in late summer, this large stem grows, and then the flower blooms out.  They are very pretty, and all of theirs are a lavender color but other varieties include orange, pink, red and yellow.  Marcia saw some orange ones up along the coast of Oregon, but we did not get pictures of them.

New SuperSonic 12v, 24" TV

Our main living area TV gave out on us while up in Oregon….not unexpected as it was acting up since we left Florida.  Got a ‘SuperSonic’ 12volt TV, although for some reason it did not come with a 12v plug, just the 110 converter plug…but that will be easy to take care of.  A 24” HD-LED TV for $135, and we really like it.  Smaller, lighter, and for $10 more I got a wall mount so that we can adjust it to our liking.  The board behind it was not painted behind the TV, so I also painted that board…still have another coat which is why the hooks have take over them.  Also installed some eye hooks to strap the TV down while we travel with bungee cords. Once I get the plug, we will be able to watch a little TV without turning the generator on…nice for when we are in rest areas, Walmart parking lots, Cracker Barrels, etc….especially when strong storms are in the area as we faced in Arkansas earlier this spring.   As for the Solar Controller…so far I really like it.  Will write up it once we boondock again.

5 comments:

  1. I was afraid you were going to say it was warm. Hoping it cools down before I get home in a couple of weeks. Flowers are beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Had the fire near Brookings not taken place, we would still be in Gold Beach where it is cool! Looking at the forecast, which is like looking in a crystal ball, by September 13th, when we were going to return, it will be in the 80's. Until then, we have a good hot week or two ahead of us!

      Delete
  2. Dave, is it possible to get a larger screen tv that will run off 12v?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 24" was the largest SuperSonic has, I think I saw a 32" from another brand...but my research showed that the SuperSonic was a pretty good TV. So far, very happy with it.

      Delete
  3. Thanks, Dave. I prefer the larger screen...easier to see. 'Course if I get to downsize to a 25', it's a smaller area.

    Maybe the former sister-in-law was pissed because you didn't "let nature take its course." Or not. 😉

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear comments from our readers. All comments are moderated by Dave before added to the website. Spam, advertisers and rude comments are deleted, and due to high spam attempts, Anonymous Users cannot post, sorry....register for a Google ID, it is free and it is easy. Go to: Get Google ID