Sunday, January 26, 2014

Look up in the Sky…

image

On the way home from church and lunch, I see this helicopter way off in the distance as we drive home.  It is hovering in place, a good mile away at that time.  I say to Marcia, “I wonder what that helicopter is doing?”  She did not see it for a bit, but as we got closer and she sees it I say, “It almost looks like it is flying right over our Condo.”  I sure hoped that there was not some police action going on around our place…we faced that in California when the police closed down a portion of Roseville near Citrus Heights for hours and hours.

`image

As we pull into the condo, we had determined that it was red, it was still hovering just a few blocks from our place.  I run in and get the camera and see that it is the News 9 helicopter.  Had no idea what it was doing, but the Librarian in me drives me to do a bit of research….

image

From the News 9 website I see a story about a house where a 20 by 15 foot hole had started to suck up a driveway just a couple of blocks away.  Sinkholes are very common in Florida, and as of this writing, it was still unsure if indeed it was a full-fledged sinkhole.

image

Ever wonder what keeps these things up in the air, especially when the blades are frozen in time?  Glad we got home when we did, as I was taking pictures it turns right toward me and flies over my head on to another news story.

motorhome
Loaded up a number of things in the motorhome today….the ole girl started right up and was ready to head out if we were….I think she likes being out on the road where she belongs instead of picking up dust in storage.  At least this storage area has two different areas where you can wash and clean your motorhome, so I will give her a real quick shower before we leave there tomorrow just to wash off the dust a bit.

7 comments:

  1. I used to live in that area, too - Rancho Cordova. I loved that little house. Those sink holes can cover quite an area underneath the ground, from what I've read. You're lucky it was blocks away. If that's what it is. Wouldn't that be awful, a sink hole in your driveway?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I grew up in Sacramento, first 30+ years...graduated from Kennedy High. Never lived in Rancho, but lived in South Sac, North Sac, Citrus Heights, etc. Didn't have sink holes to deal with there. The person who lives there is 72 years old, and her car is in her garage and she can't get it out. They say, as of 6:00 pm, that it is not growing...it might just be a hole. She has no Sink Hole insurance.

      Delete
  2. It's really scary when they show the map with all the sinkhole areas in FL. I don't like to think about it while in the state.

    Great storage facility!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think about sinkholes or earthquakes....if it's your time, it's your time

      Delete
  3. Oh no...don't like sinkholes! Glad it wasn't your driveway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That poor lady, don't know how she is going to get that car out of her garage since her driveway is not eight feet under.

      Delete
  4. I feel badly for that lady; I had a friend living in Florida that this happened to. I prayed...

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear comments from our readers. All comments are moderated by Dave before added to the website. Spam, advertisers and rude comments are deleted, and due to high spam attempts, Anonymous Users cannot post, sorry....register for a Google ID, it is free and it is easy. Go to: Get Google ID